Legal Aid Mediation | Salisbury Family Mediation
The Process

The MIAM (Mediation Information Assessment Meeting) is a confidential, private meeting between one client and the mediator and lasts for 45 minutes. This is for both parties to determine whether mediation is appropriate at this time.

Once the mediator has met with both parties, and it has been agreed that mediation is suitable, the mediator will arrange a joint 'mediation' session at a convenient time. The joint sessions last 90 minutes and you may require a number of sessions dependant upon the complexity of your case. The mediator acts like a facilitator and enables both parties to work through a structured process to enable you to work towards reaching agreements.

If you need to apply for any child arrangements, listed below, the decisions you reach in mediation are not legally binding but a Statement of Outcome is written up and can be taken to a solicitor or if you prefer to litigate in person, this document can be used as a blue print in order that you make your decisions legally binding. The following orders can be applied for:

Arrangements for your child
A ‘child arrangements order’ decides:

where your child lives
when your child spends time with each parent
when and what other types of contact, like phone calls, take place

‘Child arrangements orders’ replace ‘residence orders’ and ‘contact orders’. Parents with these orders don’t need to re-apply.

Your child’s upbringing
A ‘specific issue order’ is used to look at a specific question about how the child is being brought up, eg:

what school they go to
if they should have a religious education

You can also apply for a ‘prohibited steps order’ to stop the other parent from making a decision about the child’s upbringing.

Who can apply
The child’s mother, father or anyone with parental responsibility can apply for a court order.

If you would like to litigate in person in any family matter all the forms can be found at on the home page. Alternatively Call Swindon court on 01793 690500 for any further assistance or Salisbury court on 01722 345200.

If you are looking to separate property and finance the documents written up after mediation are an Open Financial Statement and either a detailed Statement of Outcome or a Memorandum of Understanding. These can be dealt with in the same way as detailed above.